Wednesday, September 29, 2004

It's sucking my will to live!

A few days ago I kvetched about the addition of a television set to the cafe at The Store, a development I didn't welcome as I don't particularly want to have another glowing, squawking box blaring the same crappy news I can get at home while I'm at work. But today, I have to admit, I had occasion to be happy the thing was there. When I arrived in the cafe to change the liners in the garbage cans (somebody's gotta do it, people!), I glanced up at the glowing monstrosity, and realized that it was tuned to coverage of the launch of SpaceShipOne. I got to see the plane lifting the ship into the air and then watch as the ship itself separated and fired its thrusters, and I got to play the space geek as I told the employees in earshot what was going on. It was a thrilling moment, and I'm glad I got to see it.

Now, of course, I'd have been happier if it hadn't been FOX News, and thus I wouldn't have had to put up with news anchor commentary like "Of course, John Kerry has flipflopped on space flight", "This wouldn't be possible if the President hadn't taken the fight to the terrorists", and "Imagine how far behind the rich fellows behind SpaceShipOne would be if they hadn't received that well-timed tax cut". But hey, you gotta take the good with the bad, right?

No comments: