Sunday, September 12, 2004

Instead of TALKING about new music....

....now you can HEAR some, via Postclassic Radio, an online radio station launched by Kyle Gann, in affilation with his blog, which he intends to use to give some new classical music some much-needed exposure. In Mr. Gann's words:

This combination of a blog and an internet radio station strikes me as really potent. Before, all I could do was harangue you - “Why the hell don’t you already know about all this wonderful music I listen to?!” Or, “Go buy this CD, and then you’ll know what I’m talking about!” Now, the music’s there if you want to listen to it (and, admittedly, if you have a cable modem connection; my willing friends with only dial-ups have been regrettably out of luck), and I can keep up a running commentary. In fact, it aids the fantasy I have of myself as the Harry Tuttle of music criticism - get in, get out, don’t wait for the ponderously slow commercial system to bring talent to light, but suddenly expose people to some wonderful music they would never in a million years have heard otherwise, then retreat for the next strike. You have to subvert and bypass all our social structures to make anything good happen today, because society’s arteries are clogged with the poison of money.


This is the type of thing I've been trying to do with my "Exploring the CD Collection" series of posts, in which I describe a CD I own and usually provide an MP3 of some representative track. It looks like Mr. Gann has the same idea, but executed much more exhaustively. So remember, folks: Just because Bach, Beethoven and Brahms are dead doesn't mean that classical music itself is dead.

(By the way, I'm on dialup and I'm able to play the music, although it occasionally "hiccups" when I try to navigate the Web. I suspect this problem wouldn't happen so much if I was writing in Word, or doing something unrelated to browsing, at the same time. Link via Scott Spiegelberg)

(Also by the way, I've left the MP3 of the most recent work I've focused on for "Exploring the CD Collection" available for a little while longer, here. Read the post to see why, and listen to the piece, if you can spare fourteen minutes.)

No comments: