Sunday, June 13, 2004

So speaketh The Emperor

Michael Lopez ruminates a bit on what he'd do to the current education system in the United States if he were to become Emperor.

As I read this, I get the feeling that there's quite a bit I disagree with, quite a bit I agree with, and quite a bit that I think sounds good but am unsure if it can really be made to work. I'm pretty sure I disagree with allowing corporal punishment on the part of schoolteachers and officials, for example. Even if, as Emperor Michael would stipulate, said punishment would only be enacted upon a parent's authorization of same.

Maybe I'm just the victim of conflicting impulses. I am constantly appalled by the abject stupidity constantly put on display by our society, and our willingness to embrace dumbness over smartness (a good example being that I just used two words that don't exist), but then, I read some history and I am not at all sure things have ever really been different. I suspect that humanity really does boil down to what George Carlin said -- "a few winners, and a whole lot of losers" -- and that we tend to elevate the past over our own times because we remember the winners and forget the losers.

Anyway, I've just consumed an entire blog post and not really said anything. So go read Michael's post, because he at least says something.

No comments: