Thursday, June 10, 2004

Hey, baby! Wanna take a ride?

In the course of a post full of funny and slightly pithy ruminations, Lynn Sislo wonders as follows:

How come the guy sitting next to you at the stop light with his stereo turned up way too loud is never listening to Puccini?

Well, one reason is that you're not pulling up beside me. Granted, I'm not often playing Puccini, since I no longer have a CD player in my car and am thus constrained by whatever's on the Buffalo classical station.

Anyway, this brings to mind that a couple of weeks ago, when I got off work they were playing one of my favorite "barnburner" types of pieces: "Romanian Rhapsody #1" by Enescu. I turned the volume up quite a ways -- especially for the big middle section, when the whole orchestra plays a raucous folk dance that makes me want to get drunk more than any other classical piece when I hear it -- and as this passage was playing, I slowly turned a streetcorner, passing two teenaged girls who were standing on the sidewalk. And I had my hair down, and my sunglasses on, and Enescu blaring on the stereo as I drove my boxy white sedan with the red interior.

Those girls did turn their heads, but I don't think they had any idea what to make of me. Which is fine. I am large; I contain multitudes.

No comments: