Saturday, June 19, 2004

Buffalo Stuff

I've added a few links to Buffalo-related websites in the sidebar (filed under "The Home Port").

First, I added a link to Buffalo's classical music station, WNED, which has streaming audio available online, so if you're on the prowl for a decent classical station and your neck of the woods doesn't have one, you can give ours a try. A cool thing is that at 11:00 am on weekdays (Eastern time), they run the fine program "Adventures in Good Music". Of course, I'm always working and thus can rarely listen to this show, but I like it a lot. (WNED is part of a triumvirate of broadcasting stations using those call letters, incidentally; WNED FM is the classical station. WNED AM is an all-talk NPR station that carries different content from Buffalo's FM NPR station, WBFO. And Buffalo's PBS television station is also WNED. So that site can get a bit confusing.)

Second is The Shrinking City, which is a site devoted to fostering a sort of "citizens uprising" in Buffalo by which our much-agrieved city might finally pull itself up by its own bootstraps and stop watching as the rest of the country (Pittsburgh excepted) surges into the twenty-first century. I haven't dug much into the content here, but I mean to. The site was launched in conjunction with a series of fine articles advocating Buffalo renewal through small and intense local efforts that have appeared in The Buffalo News over the last year.

Thirdly, Buffalo now has its own entry on Craig's List. There doesn't appear to be much there, but here's hoping this site fills up with nifty things like, oh, job ads for writers. (This one comes to me via The Grey Bird.)

Fourth, this one's not new to my sidebar, but Buffalo's alternate news weekly paper, Artvoice, has recently revamped and relaunched its website. It now sports a lot more bells-and-whistle type stuff than I typically like in a website, but I love Artvoice and read it faithfully, so there it is.

Finally, I'm always on the prowl for new Buffalo blogs, so if you're a Buffalonian and you have a blog, feel free to drop a line or leave me a comment and I'll link you in that section of the sidebar ("Ships flying the flag of Buffalo"). Just as long as no one forgets just what the definitive Buffalo blog really is.

No comments: