Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Ah, Google -- is there nothing it can't do?

The other day I decided that I wanted to make a stew using a couple of the too-many cans of black beans in our cupboard and a two-pound steak that's been in our fridge for, shall we say, a bit longer than experts advise. (Not an unsafe amount of time, mind you.) So, I just put "beef black bean stew" into Google, and turned up this recipe. It worked very well, although I did have to make a couple of changes. The recipe calls for ground beef, but I just cubed the steak and tossed the cubes in seasoned flour before browning; I also used two cans of beans because the single can the recipe called for just didn't seem enough. Basically I ended up with a chili made with black beans instead of kidney beans, and steak instead of ground meat, and Mexicorn added for good measure. Still, it was quite good. Tonight I'm whipping up some rice to serve over the stew. Tomorrow I'll spoon it over Frito's. The next day I might serve it with nachos. (It yielded at least three days' worth of leftovers for me. The wife works nights, so she won't get any more. Heh!)

So, next time I want to make something out of some specific ingredients, I'll just type them into Google and let it tell me what to cook. Kind of like one of those restaurants where the chef whips up something based on what you tell him you like.

No comments: