Thursday, June 12, 2003

I mentioned a week or so ago that there's a shopping plaza down the street, about half-a-mile away that would be (in my opinion) ideal for either a Barnes-and-Noble or Borders. Buffalo has one Borders and two B&N's, but none of the three is located in the Southtowns, as Buffalo's southern suburbs are called. (Borders is closest, being in Cheektowaga, which is due east of Buffalo. Both B&N's are located in northern suburbs -- Amherst and Williamsville, specifically.) All those bookstores are at least a twenty-minute drive from my home. (Ditto our former Buffalo home.)

It was the same way in Syracuse: there was a large retail center in a town called Clay, that was only ten minutes or so from our home there, that would have been perfect for a big bookstore. Borders is located in the Carousel Center, Syracuse's largest mall, which was fifteen minutes away from our home; B&N was twenty minutes away (Syracuse only had one B&N, but it was larger than either of Buffalo's B&Ns.)

So what's my point?

I learned this morning that B&N is building a huge new store, bigger than pretty much any B&N I've ever been to....in that retail center in Clay, ten minutes away from where I used to live. Arrgggghhhhh.

No comments: