Monday, September 06, 2010

Sentential Links #219

Linkage! Getcher linkage here!

:: I decided to name my second Ameraucana rooster Upset, after the not-so-famous horse.

:: Madame Bovary? Comedic gold. Lord Jim? A laugh riot. Anna Karenina, Moby-Dick---the first ten chapters of both are as funny as anything by Dickens or Jane Austen. (I'm reading Moby Dick now, one chapter a day -- they're really short chapters, so this will take a while -- and I do keep getting the feeling that I'm missing a joke somewhere.)

:: Ask the Maple Leafs the last time a team who willingly plays home games in Toronto won anything. (This is the reason given in a post listing why every team in the NFL will fail to win the Super Bowl this year. Obviously we're referring to the Bills here, but...surely the 1992 and 1993 Blue Jays aren't that distant a memory, right?)

:: I have to say, I’ve never had someone attempt to insult me by telling me — and derisively, at that — that I wasn’t dumb enough to get something. That is a new one. And given all of the times I’ve been taken to task for being a fan of Kevin Smith or Judd Apatow, it’s kind of refreshing. (OK, same blog, but a different poster. I'm not a fan of Family Guy, although it does make me laugh at least once or twice in each episode. Usually because of Stewie, the megalomaniacal British-accented baby, or Brian, the intelligent, talking, alcoholic dog. Can't argue with the points about the show's misogyny, though. There are a lot of jokes in Family Guy of the "laughter more as a nervous reaction than a humorous one" variety. And I'm definitely not a big fan of Seth MacFarlane; The Cleveland Show and American Dad are both painfully unfunny.)

:: Red from Shawshank Redemption tells us that “Geology is the study of pressure and time.” It seems that geology and bedroom closets have much in common.

:: Dewalt just announced the launch of a new compact router designed to combine power, ease of use and ergonomics to provide high visibility, control, and performance. (What timing...I've been considering buying a router, and was wondering if I should get a cheap Ryobi one and then a laminate router. Looks like I'll be able to get both in one! Of course, if and when I start doing a lot more heavy-duty woodworking, a full-size router will be in the offing. But that's off in the future somewhat. For now, I just want this. And a Dremel 4000.)

:: The author is not a very happy person as he travels in his collapsible kayak around the isles. This is perhaps a bit understandable as he & his wife have just split up.

However, there doesn’t seem to be anything that can make him happy. People are either too helpful, or not helpful enough.
("The author" is Paul Theroux, one of whose more recent books I'm reading right now, as luck would have it. He does find a happier place later in life, although nobody's ever going to mistake him for Ned Flanders, I can tell you that.)

All for this week, folks!

No comments: