Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A brief quiz thing

Stolen from Incurable Insomniac:

1. If there were no blogs, what would you be doing right now?

Reading and writing. Being more productive.

2. If you had to spend one year living alone in a remote cabin, what would you spend your time doing?

Reading and writing. If I have electricity, listening to music and watching movies and stuff on DVD. Seeing how long I could grow my beard before I finally gave in and trimmed it. (I'm guessing, not very long. I get antsy when it approaches a half-inch in length.) Chop firewood. Learn to fish. Sleep. Swim fully-clothed in remote mountain streams. Drink tea. Sing at the top of my lungs.

And that's what I'd do by ten in the morning!

3. If you could go back in time, what one piece advice would you give yourself?

To when? If I'm talking to my five-year-old self, I'd say, "Smile when they take the damn picture." If I'm talking to my thirteen-year-old self, I'd say, "You know, maybe that guy's not blowing smoke up your ass when he mentions that you should be on the swim team every time he sees you." If I'm talking to my seventeen-year-old self, I'd say, "You're barely going to remember her in ten years, so stop acting like an idiot stalker and move on." If I'm talking to my twenty-one-year-old self, I'd say, "Start writing now." If I'm talking to my twenty-six-year-old self, I'd say...actually, forget that one, it's a bit kinky. If I'm talking to my thirty-year-old self, I'd say, "Don't take that telesales job, and call back that grocery store." If I'm talking to my thirty-three-year-old self, I'd say, "Get ready, because this is when it all gets worse."

If I'm talking to myself yesterday, I'd say, "Life starts when you damn well say it does."

4. "If you really knew me you would know that..."

I'd walk through fire if you asked me to.

1 comment:

Belladonna said...

I like the way you acknowledge your life at different times.

Now WRITE a story where you go back to meet yourself at different points and have an ongoing conversation with the earlier versions of ourself that covers a whole life span.

Do you take your own advice? Do you look forward to or dread the next visit from the older / wiser you?

Do you believe this strange visitor is really YOU? How does the child you respond? The teen? The man?

I'd love to read it!