Thursday, July 28, 2005

They pull me back in....

Well, I finally succumbed, as I do every two or three years: I rejoined the BMG Classical Music Club. I do this every so often because the introductory "Ten CDs for the price of one" deal, or whatever it is, is really a pretty good deal, but the hard part is finding CDs that I want in the special booklet they send me every so often to get me to sign back up. This time, however, I found enough items that I wanted that it was fairly easy. The CDs arrived in the mail today, and I got a disc by Celtic group Altan and one by Celtic singer Moya Brennan; a disc by the Asian group Twelve Girls Band (hey, why not); a Dvorak violin concerto (don't recall the player), which I've always wanted to hear; a disc by Russian soprano Anna Netrebko; and the Elgar Violin Concerto performed by Hilary Hahn (who, by the way, is a Move Over Britney! designate). Yeah, BMG's shipping seems pretty high to me, but this first shipment was a little more than twenty bucks for shipping only, so that's six CDs for less than four bucks each.

Now I just have to buy one CD at regular price, pick out my three subsequent freebies, and I'm done. Of course, I'll wait until they send me one of their "Buy one, get two free" deals. (Assuming I remember to cancel the Featured Recording each month, which has usually been my downfall in the past with respect to the BMG club.) I've generally found, in the past, that if one is patient, one can get some good stuff through BMG. It's certainly worth joining and quitting, joining and quitting, joining and quitting....

No comments: