Thursday, July 28, 2005

Next, a stuffed poodle named "Carmen".

The other night, the Daughter was playing pretend with a little stuffed puppy of hers, which is a pretty non-exceptional event -- except that she has apparently named this particular puppy "Papageno", which made my ears perk up, since I wasn't sure where she could have happened upon the name of a supporting character from Mozart's The Magic Flute. So, I asked her where she heard that name, and she shrugged and replied, "From a movie we watched in music class." I asked her what the movie was about, and she in turn answered: "It's about a princess who is trapped in a magic castle by the Queen of the Night."

"Does a prince rescue her?" I asked.

"Uh-huh," she said.

"Does he do it with a magic flute?"

"Yeah! Have you seen that movie too?"

"In a way of speaking," I replied.

The Magic Flute was the first opera I saw live, and to this day it might well be my favorite opera of all (its chief competition being Berlioz's Les Troyens). It goes without saying, of course, that the version The Daughter saw was a truncated, watered-down version, but every journey has to start somewhere, right?

No comments: