Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Oh, what the hey....

And here's another quiz-meme thing, this time stolen from Julia. Hooray!

1. Using your Current Initials, choose a different name for yourself:

King Constantine the Second

2. If you were born outside of your era, when would you want to be born?

The 1940s in New York City.

3. If you ran a store, what would you sell/have?

Books and music. It would be a place with high shelves, ladders on rails, handwritten signage alerting customers to good reads, used books in the cellar, plants in the window, a front door that bangs when it's opened and has a bell hanging from the knob. And a big gray cat that's allowed to go anywhere it wants in the store.

4. What part in a movie would you love to play?

Depending on the manner of my demise, I'd like to be a red-shirted person in a Star Trek landing party.

5. In your opinion, why do people suck?

Because they like lollipops. (Yeah, I could take this one seriously, but what's the point?)

6. If you had your own state, what would you put on your new quarter?

George Lucas.

7. What's the oldest article of clothing you own?

I own a couple of pairs of "vintage" overalls that I bought off eBay. I'm not sure how old they are, specifically.

8.What piece of furniture have you replaced the most?

Looking around, I'm surprised to see that we've never replaced any of our furniture. God, this stuff is old.

9. What instrument do you wish you could be more than great at?

The trumpet. (I was pretty good, back in the day.) Or, if you consider the orchestra itself to be an instrument (with the conductor as its performer), I'd take that one.

I'd also love to be able to play a few Celtic instruments -- Uilleann pipes or a bodhran, maybe.

10. Record, Tape or CD?

CD. But I do miss the 144 square inches of cover art that records had.

11. What do you think would be the best concert ever?

This one, which I have to miss to go see my sister-in-law get married. Family!

12. What is the best part of your favorite movie?

The part where the hero does that thing that's so incredibly cool. It's either when Luke blows up the Death Star or when Rick lets Ilsa go.

13. What do you think is the most over-rated candy ever?

Sponge candy. It's inexplicably beloved in these parts; I find it nasty beyond belief.

14. If you were writing out your will, who would you give your CD collection to?

The Daughter. Or the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. But probably The Daughter.

15. If you could only debate two topics the rest of your life, what would they be?

The Star Wars prequels and whether film music is real music or not. (It is.)

16. Out of your friends, who would you say you are most jealous of, artistically?

Not really sure. The Indestructible Mr. Jones, maybe -- he's an awfully talented writer, but he writes less than I do these days.

17. Most jealous of....intellectually?

Well, Mr. Jones is pretty damned smart, but he and I are of opposite political stripes, so I'm not sure how that translates. Dunno, really.

18.What do you collect?

Books, CDs, movies, fountain pens.

19. What is broken that you have, that you wish was fixed?

The air conditioning in my car. Also, the DVD player is getting fritzy these days (but replacing that won't be a big deal, since they're so cheap now) and my computer's monitor is also getting fritzy (replacing that one will be a pain in the ass).

20. What do you do when you're home, sick?

If I'm at work, I wander around in a stupor and look for sympathy. If I'm at home, I sit in my chair and look for sympathy.

21. Story behind your username?

I've posted about this before, but I'm not going to search out the post just now. "Jaquandor" is the name of a minor character in the obscure 1980s comic book Six From Sirius, from which I stole all manner of names for my big Star Wars fanfic project that I wrote at the time.

22. Current Favorite Article of Clothing?

Is it just me, or does this question or some variant thereof come up in an awful lot of these blog-quizzes? Are clothes that interesting? Anyway, see the photos in the sidebar and this post, if it's not immediately obvious. (Except that the question is "Current favorite", and it's too warm these days for overalls, so now it's Bermuda shorts and t-shirts every day.)

23. Line from the last thing you wrote for someone?

Hmmm, what does "wrote for someone" mean? Here's a line of the last story I wrote, from a few months ago:

"But you are just one mermaid, and I am just one girl, and the Sea is so very wide."

24. A famous person you have met?

Former Buffalo Philharmonic music director Semyon Bychkov.

25. Favorite way to waste time?

Exercising my complete lack of self-control when it comes to answering blog-quizzes.

This appears to be a "non-tagging" quiz, so go ahead and do it if you feel like it. Or not.

No comments: