Monday, June 02, 2003

Guilty pleasure: One of Buffalo's "independent" TV stations is showing the first season of MTV's Road Rules on Saturday nights. Man, that takes me back to the halcyon days of 1995....I miss the 90s. Well, some things about the 90s, anyway. I was a total slacker about writing, back then -- I was one of those "I write when the Muse strikes me" kind of people. It took me a long time to learn the lesson that the Muse strikes people who work hard at it, every day, with a lot more regularity than the people who don't.

Anyhoo, the only season of Road Rules I liked was the first one; watching a bunch of 20-somethings attempting to drive a Winnebago in city traffic lost its cachet pretty quickly after that. Now, if only I could see the San Francisco and London editions of The Real World again. I liked the London edition, even if they chose two of the most idiotic, vapid Americans they could have hoped to find: the hick race-car driver who wanders through a London grocery store bemoaning the lack of Ranch dressing and the 18-year old playwright twerp who didn't seem to ever leave the Real World house. I think that if I'd been given an expenses-paid, three-month stay in London, I'd manage to find something to do.

No comments: