Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Stop that, George.

OK. I'm about a quarter of the way through A Feast for Crows on the re-read, and of course, I'll have more to say about it when I'm done. But I've just read the chapter featuring Asha Greyjoy, and got smacked in the face with this (A 'maester' is a man who has undergone a high degree of formal education, so an 'archmaester' is an extremely learned man, in service to a King or Lord.):

Archmaester Rigney once wrote that history is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging.

Fantasy readers will be put in mind of The Wheel of Time, the long fantasy series mostly written by Robert Jordan...which is a pseudonym for a writer named James Oliver Rigney. Really, GRRM? A damned in-joke? GAHHHH!!!

(No, it's not a big deal, but it did throw me right out of the story.)

No comments: