Thursday, November 03, 2011

Something for Thursday

Hey, who's up for some light orchestral music, melodic and exciting, from the Romantic era? Here's Franz von Suppe's overture to Poet and Peasant.



Von Suppe's overtures were staples in concert band repertoire when I was in school; they tend to transcribe wonderfully and are musically meaty enough for young students to enjoy while also tending to be technical enough to give them a nice challenge. I don't know if this is still the case in band programs in this country, but I hope that schools are still playing this stuff.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

One of my favorite albums I have in my LPs, not readily accessible, is a great compilation of overtures. I'm not positive that this album is the same one, but they both have the 2 von Suppe, at least a couple Rossini, the Offenbach, and the Smetana.