Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another Book Quiz

Here's one snagged from Steph: it's a list of books most often marked "Unread" on LibraryThing, indicating books people have copies of either so they can say they own them, or in the best intentions of reading 'em someday if only James Patterson would quit churning out must-read thrillers or whatnot. (Like I'm any different!) Anyway, the instructions are to bold the ones you've read, underline the ones you read for school, and italicize the ones you've started but not finished. I'll add another two rules: strike the ones you know you'll never, ever read and don't even own a copy of, and mark with a *star the ones you own and really, genuinely intend to read one of these days. OK? OK!

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (I'm reading this now, actually, and am halfway through it and loving it)

* Anna Karenina
* Crime and Punishment
Catch-22
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Wuthering Heights
* The Silmarillion
Life of Pi: a novel
The Name of the Rose
Don Quixote
Moby Dick (Another one in progress, very slowly.)

Ulysses
Madame Bovary
The Odyssey
* Pride and Prejudice
* Jane Eyre (loved this book, want to read it again)
* A Tale of Two Cities
The Brothers Karamazov (Grrrrr!)
Guns, Germs, and Steel: the fates of human societies
* War and Peace
Vanity Fair
The Time Traveler’s Wife
The Iliad
* Emma
The Blind Assassin
* The Kite Runner
Mrs. Dalloway
* Great Expectations
American Gods
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Atlas Shrugged (I so want back the time I spent reading this shit.)
Reading Lolita in Tehran: a memoir in books
Memoirs of a Geisha
Middlesex
* Quicksilver
* Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the West (The Wife read this and loved it)

The Canterbury Tales
The Historian: a novel
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
* Love in the Time of Cholera
Brave New World
The Fountainhead (What possessed me to read Atlas Shrugged after I read this and judged it insipid and idiotic, I will never know.)

Foucault’s Pendulum (Read it sophomore year of college. Loved it. Didn't understand much of it at all.)

Middlemarch
* Frankenstein
* The Count of Monte Cristo
* Dracula
A Clockwork Orange
* Anansi Boys
The Once and Future King (Just a beautiful, wonderful book, with one of the greatest closing passages I've ever read.)

The Grapes of Wrath
The Poisonwood Bible : a novel
1984
Angels & Demons
The Inferno (and Purgatory and Paradise)
The Satanic Verses
* Sense and Sensibility
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Mansfield Park
* One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
To the Lighthouse
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Oliver Twist
Gulliver’s Travels
* Les Misérables
* The Corrections
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (Amazing book)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Dune (I got sick of having to look things up in the glossary once per paragraph, but I definitely mean to read it.)

The Prince
The Sound and the Fury
Angela's Ashes: a memoir (No interest at all.)
The God of Small Things
A People's History of the United States: 1492-present
Cryptonomicon (What a wild fun blast this book was!)
Neverwhere
A Confederacy of Dunces
A Short History of Nearly Everything (I've read it twice!)
Dubliners
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Scarlet Letter (Loved it.)
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
The Mists of Avalon (I really wanted to like this, but the anti-Christianity stuff just got to be too much. Nothing against that per se; it just overwhelmed the story.)

Oryx and Crake: a novel
Collapse: how societies choose to fail or succeed
Cloud Atlas
The Confusion
Lolita
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
The Catcher in the Rye (You know what? Meh.)
On the Road
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Freakonomics: a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: an inquiry into values (I've read it a bunch of times, along with its lesser-noted sequel, Lila. I like these books a great deal, but there are times when I think Pirsig takes easy ways out, simply using his novel structure as an excuse to drop lines of inquiry when they prove troublesome.)

* The Aeneid
Watership Down
* Gravity's Rainbow
The Hobbit
In Cold Blood: a true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
White Teeth
Treasure Island
David Copperfield (Hated it in school, but I'm prepared to admit that I didn't know my arse from the proverbial hole in the ground at the time.)

The Three Musketeers (Read last year and loved it. One of the most entertaining books I've ever read.)

2 comments:

Belladonna said...

Kite Runner was good, but a bit too dark for my tastes. His follow up book, A Thousand Spendid Suns was far superior in my opinion.

I tried Moby Dick a couple times but just couldn't slog my way through it. So instead I read the tale of teh true account it is based on: Nathaniel Philbrick's "In the Heart of the Sea." Powerful book!

Loved Memoires of a Geisha.

Freakonomics is on my list of things to read next.

I just finished one I liked VERY much..."People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks. I listened to it on CD while travelling and LOVED the way the reader did all the accents (Austrailia, Serbian, Yiddish, etc.) Besides that, it's a well woven tale.

teflonjedi said...

Loved JS&MN. I would recommend The Historian heartily...reading it during the dark times of winter, last year, spooked me a little! Right now I'm reading Oliver Twist.