Sunday, February 05, 2006

IMAGES OF THE WEEK

Apparently two "new" paintings by Caravaggio have been discovered; Alexandra has the goods. Go look at them: I didn't care for the first one, but the second is kind of haunting in a CSI kind of way, if that makes any sense.

As long as I'm linking Alexandra -- whom I haven't linked in quite a while -- she also has a link to this wonderful NYT article about author Harper Lee, who recently came out of reclusion after her one novel -- a little volume called To Kill A Mockingbird -- to appear at an awards ceremony for a contest involving essays on the subject of Lee's novel. You know what I thought was the coolest thing about Ms. Lee? She lives with her 94-year old sister, who is a practicing attorney.

I have got to read Mockingbird again one of these days. I haven't read it since the tenth grade, when I loved it dearly -- almost enough to revise my rather negative opinion of that particular English teacher (she's the one who also made us read Ordinary People while the other classes read Mark Twain).

(And one final thought on what's becoming a grab-bag post: looking at the photo of Harper Lee, she looks a lot like actress Kathryn Joosten, who played Mrs. Landingham on The West Wing. Not that that has anything to do with, well, anything.)

No comments: