Sunday, February 29, 2004

You know you don't get to take the money with you when you die, right?

In today's Buffalo News I find this article about people who really watch every penny. Some of these tales just scare me. Now, I've not always been all that smart with money -- in fact, at too many times I've been downright stupid with it, although I am starting to come around to see the utility of things like coupons, and it sure would be nice to be able to save, if that were even possible at the current levels of income, but hey, ya takes what ya's can get, right?

But then I read stuff like the practices people admit to following in order to save a nickel here or a dime there, and I'm thinking, "Why on Earth would you ever think this is important, much less the fact of what would make you do that in the first place?"

Here's one testimonial from the article: "I reuse coffee grounds. When I make our morning coffee (six cups), I use six tablespoons of fresh coffee. The next morning I use three tablespoons of fresh coffee and put it on top of the 'used' grounds from the morning before. I don't think you can tell the difference; my husband says he can."

Now, come on! Can coffee be that big an expense that the savings here ever add up to any level of utility? Especially if you're using something like the big can of Maxwell House, which costs about five bucks and lasts a month or more at that rate? (God help me, if they're buying something expensive like Lavazza coffee and doing this....)

And how about this: "Then there are the people (we heard about two) who buy a roll of two-ply toilet paper and then separate it into two rolls of one-ply." Maybe this works, maybe it doesn't. I'm not going to try and find out.

No comments: