Tuesday, February 17, 2004

What will our alien overlords make of call centers?

I crossed swords in a very mild way with Doc Nebula a while back, but as I noted then, there's something oddly compelling about the guy -- half of his writings repel me, but the other half are interesting in the good way. Case in point, his recent descriptions of the work environment in a big call center. Call centers are horrid, vile places to have to work -- and he provides some gory detail as to why. I worked in a very small call center that was owned and operated by the company whose product we were actually selling -- not the kind of shop Doc Nebula's working in -- and still, I well remember a lot of this goofy crap, right down to the bit about "Two minutes are provided between calls for administrative duties you may have -- but we'd sure like it if you didn't use them." (No permalinks for current posts, but there are permalinks for archived posts; so just check out his main page and see if he's written anything about work. I tend to skip over the stuff about "HeroClix", because I have no idea at all what that is.)

(Oh, and I don't know if I have any readers in Florida, or if I have any readers in Florida who are looking to own a dog, but apparently Doc Nebula really needs to find a new home for the dog of the house. Just in case.)

No comments: