Monday, April 16, 2012

DONE!!!


DONE!!!, originally uploaded by Jaquandor.

Victory is mine! Let the streets flow with wine and song!

Yes, earlier today I finished the first draft of Princesses In SPACE!!! (not the actual title). And since a while back I figured on being done by Memorial Day Weekend, I'm actually a month and a half early. Future editors, take note. Deadlines are nothing to me! Ha!!!

By way of some stats: the final word count of this first draft is 178,575 words -- under my target of 180,000, which makes me happy, especially since that word count is likely to plunge when I get to the editing. Since I started tracking my daily production, I've produced over 28,000 words, for an average of over 1500 words a day on the days that I've written. And in that time, I only missed three days -- this past Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, which I'm fine with given that Thursday involved preparations for a trip and Friday and Saturday were, you know, the actual trip.

In truth, I must admit that over the last couple weeks, I've felt a subconscious applying of the brakes, as if I wasn't really ready to leave this world yet. And in a way, I'm not...but it's time. This tale is done, in its first telling, and now I need to just let the manuscript sit for three months. I won't allow myself to even look at it again until July 16 at the earliest. I'm a firm believer in letting writing fade into memory a bit before moving onto the "Kill your darlings" phase.

So what now, then? No writing? Perish the thought! I'm going to move seamlessly right into the next project, "The Lighthouse Boy Who Ran Away" (not the actual title). Who knows -- I may even start that one tonight. I can't be stopped, man!

(By the way, how much of a dork am I? It was 80 degrees here today, which I deem 'too hot for overalls'. So for this photo I put 'em on, took the photo, and went back to shorts. There's a cautionary tale in that, but I'm not sure what it is.)

8 comments:

Kaye Waller said...

Congratulations! You must feel great. I know exactly what you mean about applying the brakes. I feel myself doing that very same thing just now.

Happy dance for you!

Glenn Whidden said...

Congratulations! Good work. I look forward to seeing Princess In Space!!! (not the actual title) available to the reading public in the not too distant future. Good for you!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Good on ya for completing your epic. Looking forward to all the fame and fortune that it will bring you.

New York Erratic said...

Congrats! Will we get to see snippets?

Roger Owen Green said...

great!

??? said...

Congratulations!
I like the title of your next project, even if it's not the real title. But it's already a story in itself.

Anonymous said...

congratulations overall ! fantastic, I'm looking forward to read it when it comes out ! it must be a really nice feeling to have done it ! and thanks for comments on my blog ! overall greetings from Copenhagen, still chilly enough for overalls :)

M. D. Jackson said...

Congratulations! There's no better feeling. Now you can put it in a drawer for at least a month before going back for the re-write.

When you do you will either be horrified at what you find, pleasantly surprised at how good it is, or, more likely, a bit of both.