Monday, February 02, 2004

Reality Bites

AICN reports today the passing of Mary-Ellis Bunim (57 years old, breast cancer). Bunim was one of the producers behind MTV's The Real World and Road Rules, as well as this year's The Simple Life on FOX. She paved the way for a lot of the current "reality TV" craze. I confess to having a soft spot for the earlier editions of The Real World, especially the San Francisco cast (the one with Judd Winick and Puck) and my personal favorite, the mellow London cast. (I've never forgotten the two American guys on that show -- the race-car driver who walks into a London grocery and starts loudly complaining because he can't find the ranch dressing, and the 17-year old playwright who wins an all-expenses-paid three-month stay in London and rarely bothers to get out of bed. I've always wondered if that kid has since realized the enormity of the opportunity he missed.)

I'm no fan of reality TV, American Idol excepted, but I did enjoy some of what Mary-Ellis Bunim did.

No comments: