1. Time for IDOL! Which means three minutes of Awesome (Crystal) surrounded by generous helpings of Meh, with a couple of nice-sized dollops of FAIL.
2. Siobhan: Why is she good, again? Because all I hear is a damn screeching machine. Bleccchhh.
3. Casey James: Way better than Siobhan. His eterni-grin is a bit distracting, and this song is exactly vocally demanding. This guy isn't made to sing the kind of stuff an Idol winner has to sing, though.
4. Michael: Huh. I liked that performance a lot. Good job for him.
5. Didi: Now, there's the Meh.
6. Ahhhh, Tim is singing now. And somewhere in America, Lilly Scott just emptied a revolver into her teevee.
7. Andrew seems to have found some of his mojo again. This is actually a pretty good performance after he was staggeringly awful last week.
8. Katie: Meh. (But to be fair, I've never been a big fan of this song, so it would have to be an extraordinary performance to trip my trigger. I guess she's doing OK with it.)
9. HEY IDOL JUDGES: Great songs are great songs. Screw the "Do something contemporary" nonsense.
10. Lee: I didn't think he was as good as the judges do, but he was pretty good. This episode has been the most enjoyable of this season. Only two Meh's and one disaster thus far!
11. Crystal: Yeah, that's the stuff! (And Randy? Nobody gives a shit if you like the outfit. Shut the f*** up about what everybody's wearing.)
12. Every time I see Aaron, I have flashbacks to the first season of "Malcolm in the Middle". And he's got his hair in a faux-hawk. And he's not that good a singer. Meh!
13. Flip a coin: Didi or Tim should go.
Why Randy Jackson feels the need to comment on everybody's clothes is beyond me. I also tire of Kara Dioguardi's tendency to say stuff; the show would be better served if the camera just panned past her. And I'm really tired of hearing judges tell contestants that they should do something "more contemporary" or that what they did is "old-fashioned".
Anyhow, there it is. This season has so far been a lot less good than previous years, because the singers have been awfully mediocre. But this week's show was better than it's been thus far.