Wednesday, July 30, 2003

They're aiming for the lights!

People who work in law enforcement tend to be, well, "masters of the obvious". Never was this more clear to me than when I was driving along in my 1984 VW Rabbit, which was then on its last legs, and the hood actually blew open. I pulled over (of course), and just as I was getting out of the car to push the hood back down so I could complete the drive home (luckily, I was only half a mile away), a New York State Trooper comes by, stops, rolls down his window, and says, "Is there a problem here?"

I'm thinking of this right now because of this news item from Scotland, linked by Warren Ellis, in which Edinburgh detectives describe the death of a local man -- whose body was found fully clothed, stuffed into a suitcase, and submerged in a local waterway -- as "suspicious".

(Yes, that headline is a movie quote, in a tipping-of-the-hat to Sir Matthew the Not Quite So Brave As Sir Robin, who likes to use movie quotes as his own headlines.)

No comments: