Monday, July 21, 2003

Via MeFi, I see that American citizens are considering moving to Canada because things are more liberal up there.

Believe me, I occasionally understand the sentiment. Hell, I'd love to live in Toronto for the dim sum alone. But America is my home. It's my country. And as a democracy, it's intended to be a self-correcting mechanism. But the problem with self-correcting mechanisms is this: by definition, a mechanism therefore has to be "incorrect" now and then if it's going to correct itself. That's what is meant by the old saw, "My country, right or wrong: when right, to be kept right; and when wrong, to be put right."

And besides, no matter where you live, there will always be no shortage of stuff that nauseates you, no matter what your political or religious beliefs may be. So, packing up for Canada is just postponing the inevitable. Plus, it will probably annoy the Canadians, and we can't have that, can we?

No comments: