Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I realized today that you don't see many Quonset huts anymore.



I remember, when I was a kid during the 1970s, I used to see them a lot -- mechanics' garages, independent food markets, feed stores, et cetera would use them. I even recall a suburban movie theater that was inside a Quonset hut. (It was a second-run house; I never saw a movie there, but I've always wondered what the acoustics were like.) But I suppose they went away eventually, since they were never intended as permanent structures to begin with, and other, cheap methods of construction have been developed.

I only mention this because today I was driving on a Buffalo street that I've driven, literally, for years -- and I realized that a building I've driven past countless times in that span is, behind its faux facade, a Quonset hut.

No comments: