Sunday, July 20, 2003

If you like visual art of the "mystical" variety, check out the work of Gilbert Williams. He's sort of like that Thomas Kinkaid guy, in that he uses a lot of light in his work, but for some reason I like Williams whereas I can't stand Kinkaid. Maybe it's the mysticism and fantasy-type stuff in Williams's work, and it also probably has to do with the fact that Williams hasn't been "branded" the way Kinkaid has, with the Franklin Mint not issuing various gewgaws based on Williams's paintings. Here's one I particularly like:



Williams's work will be familiar to fans of the New-Age musical group Mannheim Steamroller; Williams did a couple of covers for the "Fresh Aire" series. (Mannheim Steamroller was a staple of my musical diet when I was in college and experiencing my "New Age" phase, which I suspect was a low-level substitute for what might have been a "Marijuana and the Grateful Dead" phase had I gone to a larger school in a more urban environment. But I digress.)

No comments: