Sunday, July 20, 2003

I'm seriously thinking about watching this new "reality" show, The Restaurant. I'll be interested to see how the events depicted on that show match up with my own experiences of that particular industry (although I was in chain restaurants, which this show's focus is not).

There's an article about the show in today's Buffalo News, that includes this interesting quote by the show's producer, Mark Burnett (the evil force behind Survivor, which may hold its place on my Top Five Nauseating Shows List for a long time to come):

"The next step in unscripted dramatic television is to remove the contest and voting and prize money and to make a show in a venue."

That's the "next step"? No contest, just people interacting in a funky setting? Like...this show? It's funny how the "Next step" often involves dusting off something that was "the next step" ten years ago.

Even so, I applaud the concept. You don't need some stupid contest or contrived competition to make for compelling TV watching.

No comments: