Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Why do I keep giving up my Sundays for this crap?!

I had this big, long post written about NFL football this year so far, but I'm not going to post it. I think football is slowly losing me. Maybe part of it is that the Buffalo Bills have been bad for almost an entire decade now, but really, the game's just not that interesting to me anymore, and devoting every Sunday from September to February to watching it is seeming to me less of a wise thing to do every year. So, just a handful of observations:

:: Why are the Bills so bad? I stick with my pet theory, which has been my pet theory about them every year I've been blogging them: the offensive line is always crap on a stick. Trent Edawrds isn't playing well right now, but really, if your team is lining up in shotgun formation on third and one on a consistent basis, that pretty much says it all. It says you don't respect your own running game's ability to get a single yard, and that tells the opposing defense the same thing.

:: I'm really sick of hearing things like "They'll never get a better chance than this year to beat New England, with Tom Brady out!". That's a meme I'm hearing way too often this year, on sports radio and in print. Jeez. Brady's a great player, a no-brainer Hall of Famer. But he's not the reincarnation of Achilles. He's not the greatest clutch QB in the universe, he's beatable (the Giants did it last year, remember?), and I think he's probably already peaked, anyway. But even setting that aside, it's a dumb thing to say. If you want to be the best, you have to be able to beat the best. I hate the notion of accepting that the Bills can do no better than 2nd place as long as Brady's under center in New England, unless their plan is to go 14-2 with the two losses being against the Patriots. Ugh.

OK, I'm done. Barring something supremely weird happening, I won't be posting about football again until the Super Bowl, if even then.

No comments: