Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Burst of Weirdness

Here we go:

:: Almost two years ago I finally filled a giant hole in my small geek-toy collection when, through the services of eBay, I bought a die-cast Millennium Falcon. Finally I could play out the asteroid-field chase from The Empire Strikes Back in my head! And the final battle from Return of the Jedi! Hooray!

(Actually, I now own two die-cast Millennium Falcons; the months following the release of Revenge of the Sith saw a whole bunch of new Star Wars toys on the market, among them new ships from MicroMachines. My second toy Falcon, viewable in this photo (although not very well), is a "battle-scarred" one. That apparently means they dabbed more gray paint on it to simulate carbon scoring from laser blasts and whatnot. So basically I seem to now have a model of the Falcon from both before and after Han Solo got his hands on it.)

Why am I bringing this up? Because now you can get a Lego set to make your own Millennium Falcon. It checks in at almost three feet in length, and it costs five hundred dollars.

I don't think I'll be buying any of these anytime soon. Not just the money, but who the hell has the patience to assemble it?!

(via)

:: The stuff people do these days. Ye Gods. (Kind of a creepy image involving tattooing. Not graphic, but creepy.)

:: Superman versus the KKK. Seriously. This is fascinating.

(via)

:: I saw this mentioned on a blog somewhere over the last few days, but now I can't remember which blog. I'll update if I find it again, but for now, here's a bit of Presidential lore I didn't know: sixteen years after he left the Presidency, John Tyler, our tenth President, was elected to the Confederate House of Representatives.

Now, Tyler died before he could assume that office, but I'm wondering: if he'd lived to serve in the Confederate Congress, would that have constituted an act of treason against the United States? Committed by a former President? Man, history's fascinating, but you never hear about this stuff in high school. It's like, they give you all the boring outline stuff, but the year ends and you graduate before you can start learning all the good stuff.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Actually, I did know that about Tyler. I'd say YES, it woyuld have been treasonous.

Anonymous said...

The very act of standing for election for the rebel Congress was an act of treason. As http://www.usa-presidents.info/tyler.htm notes, "By serving in the Rebel government, Tyler became the only President to have publicly committed an act of treason against the United States of America."