Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sunday Burst of Weirdness Coolness

I'm not sure what provoked him to do this, but filmmaker Kevin Smith has decided to respond to some of the weirdos of the AICN TalkBack section, here.

A few representative responses (naughty language alert, and it's even worse if you click through and read the ones I'm not cherry-picking):

TalkBacker: I'm finally starting to believe that the 90's are over.

Kevin Smith: They can’t be, sir. With your post, you’ve proven that the former-fandom-turned-cynicism which was the identifying hallmark of said decade still reigns supreme. As long as there are garage band fans ("Nirvana was good when I was the only one who liked them. Now they suck."), the 90's will never die.

TalkBacker: The fucker talks way, way too much, and talk is cheap.

Kevin Smith: Thank Christ. It’s why I get away with making movies, sir: because I make talky movies and talk, as you’ve said, is cheap. Cheap movies that earn mean I get to work another day.

TalkBacker: I love listening to Kevin Smith talk about movies and filmmakers until I see any of his movies and realize he's a fanboy in writer/director clothing.

Kevin Smith: Finally! Somebody who gets me!

TalkBacker: Hey, Kev.: instead of lampooning yourself for doing bad work, why don't you fucking learn how to make a film or at the very least hire an editor?

Kevin Smith: Because I’ve been doing what I’m doing for, like I wrote above, twelve years now, and shit seems to be working out for me. Even the folks who're like "His movies are remotely funny" join up for at least the commentary tracks. Not saying there's still not much, much more to learn, but if it's not broke, why fix it?

TalkBacker: The most solid thing you ever did was the "Clerks" cartoon and that's because you had less influence than on your movies.

Kevin Smith: Yes – so solid that it was my least successful endeavor of the last twelve years. I'm gonna fire my agent and hire you, bro. You've got your finger on the pulse.


It goes on like that. Of course, arguing with these weirdos is an exercise in futility -- I mean, we're talking about a form of Interweb life that, on the evolutionary scale, is just below your garden-variety blogger -- but it's still entertaining to read.

UPDATE: OK, I posted this link before I read through the entire thread. I'm still linking it, mind you, because it's utterly hilarious, but I feel that I should put in a NOT SAFE FOR WORK warning. Because it isn't. At all. Seriously. (About halfway through, a couple AICN mouthbreathers decide to take after Smith's wife, which goes over about as well as you might think it would.)

No comments: