Monday, October 10, 2005

Squish the Fish!

I only watched one quarter of yesterday's Bills-Dolphins game, and that was at an Applebee's; the rest of the game I followed sporadically on the radio while driving from shopping destination to destination. The general consensus in these parts seems to be that benching J.P. Losman in favor of Kelly Holcomb gave the Bills the added spark they needed to put up a 20-14 victory.

I don't really agree. Holcomb only made a couple of plays of the type that have been eluding Losman, the quick-read, quick-decision throws. Holcomb's numbers weren't all that amazing, and the Bills' defense still looked very susceptible to the run and unable to hold on third down. What made them win the game, frankly, was a stunning display of poor discipline and ball handling by the Dolphins, who committed 18 penalties and 5 turnovers. So I'm glad the Bills won, but so far as I can tell, nothing happened in this game to make me believe that the ship has been righted and that the playoffs beckon.

I didn't pay a lot of other attention to the NFL, except to note that the Stupid Patriots have still given up more points than anybody in the AFC. If this lasts, the threepeat is as good as gone. Not that this will break my heart any, of course!

No comments: