Monday, October 17, 2005

Holcomb, Holcomb, he's our man!

Week Six in the NFL: Kelly Holcomb led the Bills to victory again, thus claiming forever the right to be the Bills' starter. Or something like that.

It was a nice win, but unlike the guy who was babbling on the Buffalo call-in radio show that I was listening to when I got home, this doesn't really put the Bills on the path to the playoffs. They still don't do enough with the passing game (Holcomb still only threw for around 170 yards), they go "pass-wacky" at weird situations (passing yesterday on third-and-one, when the running game is working beautifully), and their defense is seemingly incapable of stopping the run. Ouch. I'd like to see them do on the road what they did yesterday, and I'm not optimistic that they can -- especially with a bunch of really tough games coming up.

So I'm glad the Bills won, but I don't think it's a terribly significant win in terms of where they're going this season. Maybe Kelly Holcomb is enough to get the Bills to an 8-8 record (I predicted 6-10), but that's about it.

As for the rest of the NFL, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention, except to watch the Steelers have a number of brilliant defensive plays come to naught when Tommy Maddox threw an interception in overtime that was returned for the touchdown. That sucked. And I can't help but note that the defending champs have still yielded more points than any other AFC team, a trend which I don't think can be ignored or explained away as a statistical anomaly after six games. If not for the excellent play of Tom Satan Brady, the New England Stupid Patriots wouldn't even be at .500. And I don't think the return of Tedy Beelzebub Bruschi is going to solve the StuPats' problems. (But their next game is a home game on a Sunday night against the Bills. Why do the Bills always have to play night games against the StuPats? What's up with that?)

No comments: