Monday, October 10, 2005

Sentential Links #20

(Read by the LAW AND ORDER voiceover guy)

In the world of the Internet, the most penetrating insights are committed by the members of the elite Special Bloggers' Unit, who use words to craft posts of interest to many. These are their sentences.

CHUNK-CHUNK

(Yeah, that sounded like a funnier idea before I did it. Oh well....)

:: Andrew Thomas was born on 10/04/05 at 5:00 PM. He is 7 lbs. 1 oz. and 19.5 inches long. Mom and baby are both healthy and recovering well. Stay tuned for a full Labor & Delivery report once Kellie is closer to normal strength. (HUZZAH!!)

:: This morning President Bush named an actual blank slate to fill Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's place on the Supreme Court. "This slate has served me well," said Bush, "and it will make a heckuva great Supreme Court judge."

The slate, which has never been a judge before, has a long history with President Bush, dating back to his days when it hung in an office at the Governor's Mansion in Texas. "That slate did a good job," said Bush. "It held whatever we wanted to it to. This is an excellent slate."
(Why do I always forget to read Tom Burka? The guy is hilarious.)

:: People experience various forms of art (music, theater, painting, sculpture, dance, gourmet cooking) for one or more of the following purposes:
1) to be seen looking cultural
2) to entertain themselves
3) to exercise their emotions
4) to exercise their cognitive abilities
5) to explore the limits of their perceptions

Any discourse on art should address one or more of these purposes.
(I should probably bookmark this one, because it sounds like something I should say more about. Consider this just a pointer to something interesting, for now.)

:: Unfortunately, I also think that so far the science has had almost no effect on public opinion. That's the root problem, I think—the generally low level of scientific literacy in this country is the most troubling long-term issue we face. (I agree with Dr. Myers, one hundred percent. Technology springs from science, but even as society becomes more and more rooted in technology for its basic infrastructure, it's also becoming more and more ignorant of what science has taught us, and more basically, what science is. This is a kind of cognitive dissonance underlying our society, and it may well lead to some serious problems down the road.)

:: For the love of God and baby Jesus, leave the button down collar behind. (This is a relatively new blog about fashion that I found quite by accident, and I was amused to see that on the basis of just his third post ever that the contents of my closet would have him recoiling in abject horror. Oh well, we all can't be fashion minded!)

:: It is monstrous when one cares but little about trees but much about Corinthian columns, and yet this is exceedingly common. (OK, this is probably cheating. But it's from a blog, so it counts. Also check out the Thoreau blogger's poetry blog, which has some neat pictures accompanying the verse. Link to the Thoreau Blog via Simian Farmer.)

:: [T]the national anthem of Japan should be changed to the original theme song of Uchuusenkan Yamato. (This is the start of a series of posts over at The Tensor's, called "This I Believe". Funny stuff, so far. I look forward to future installments.)

:: Brides do not control the heavens.

:: I think...that almost everyone arrives at a point in his or her life at which he or she realizes, "I am woefully ignorant." (Actually, in my case, I arrive at that point almost hourly, and in my case, instead of saying "I am woefully ignorant", the thought takes the form: "My God, I am a complete moron." That's me, Socrates with self-esteem issues. Wonderful post, by the way.)

:: One day, when my father was still relatively new on the job as town supervisor, he and I were talking about what he hoped to accomplish and there was a point when he was explaining to me why he was thinking about running for the State Senate when his eyes lit up and a sly smile spread across his face, and I swear, at that moment, although probably just for that moment, my father saw his path clear to the Governorship. (This is actually the first sentence of Part Two of a longer, two-part posting. Read Part One first. I'm coming to see Lance Mannion Jr. as Left Blogistan's less-verbose answer to Bill Whittle.)

All for this week. Fade to credits.

No comments: