Saturday, September 03, 2005

Losing the argument before it's even begun

A while back I noted that right-wing blogs like to block referral traffic from left-wing blogs, a practice that I find both gutless and lame. And yes, I noted that I'd find it gutless and lame if I saw a left-winger doing the same thing, but I haven't yet.

But here comes the latest rightie to discover this infantile trick: Jane Galt (a.k.a. Megan McArdle), who apparently doesn't want people to follow this link from Corrente. So here's the link:

http://www.janegalt.net/blog/archives/005433.html

Or you can use this:

http://tinyurl.com/cry99

This is crap, folks. If you're going to blog something, have the damned intestinal fortitude to accept the possibility that it's going to get linked by folks you don't like. If you're not willing to do that, then maybe you should give up your pretensions to blogging and journalism and retire to a cloister to pen your missives.

UPDATE: Well, apparently, Jane Galt is quivering in fear of the massive numbers of trolls steered her way via my link, because she's blocked my referrals, too. Jee-bus, Jane -- I'm willing to bet that Asymmetrical Information has more hits in most hours than I do most days, but I guess the mosquito really can be annoying to the elephant. But really, how gutless can you get.

And further, at least cover all of your bases, Jane. You may have blocked the referral from this specific post, but you didn't block the referral from my monthly archive -- as of this writing, if you load the September page from my archives and scroll down to this post, the links work just fine. Whoops.

And, of course, when she gets round to blocking that, well then, you can just use this here link to access her post, redirecting as it does through Google. Unless, of course, Jane decides to block Google referral traffic too.

God, this crap is silly.

UPDATE II: I've posted instructions on how to create a Google redirect here.

No comments: