Wednesday, October 02, 2013

A Random Wednesday Conversation Starter

What's your preferred work schedule? Do you respond best to Monday-Friday, 9 to 5? Do you like a mix of days, nights? Is working weekends OK or godawful?

The last restaurant company I worked for, not long before I left, rolled out an interesting approach to the management schedule (that has since been abandoned, I believe). Their original approach had been to have managers work five consecutive days, and then always have back-to-back days off (which is always nice; split days off can be a pain), with one extra day off each month. But then they tried this, which I thought worked really nicely for the short time I was there: managers worked four consecutive days and then had their two days off. Obviously, this means that your days off change each week: one week you're off Wednesday-Thursday, then you're off Tuesday-Wednesday, and so on. I liked this because it meant that every five weeks, you would have consecutive Sundays off (Sunday being the busiest day at that restaurant, this was nice), and that every six weeks you would have a weekend off. In restaurants, weekends off are really hard to come by. They can happen, but you'd better be prepared to work a lot of days up to and after the weekend off.

Anyway, what do you like to work?

4 comments:

Kal said...

I loved getting to work early. No one at the school at 7 AM. Can photocopy and relax before the kids arrived. But then by three I would need to get the hell out. I wasn't always lucky to have Principals who could seem the value in my schedule.

Kaye Waller said...

I worked the 8-5 office grind for years upon years, but my favorite job where hours were concerned was when I worked a 4-midnight swing shift at a factory. Except on Fridays. I was only 19 and it cut into my "play" time. Nowadays I work at home and my best hours are from 10pm-5am. Because I need very little sleep, I can go to bed, sleep until 9am and be good until my after-dinner nap.

Roger Owen Green said...

Ideally for just me? Su-Th 11a-8p. except I'd miss church, and my family.

fillyjonk said...

I love going in to work early (I usually arrive around 7 am), being able to work uninterrupted for a while until more people come in, and then take off early in the afternoon, like 4 pm.

I can work Saturdays and in fact DO work many Saturdays, but too long without much time to myself definitely has a negative impact on my mood and productivity. (And I refuse to work Sundays. Luckily, in my line of work, I can. I have a lot of duties at church so it's not really a day "off" but it is something different from the day-to-day)

What I'd really love, and kind of miss, are the random mid-week days off where you get time to run errands and such when not everyone else in town is doing the same thing...