Sunday, March 25, 2012

Saturday Centus (Sunday edition)

Arrgghhh, I missed another one. Oh well. Naught to do but get back up on the horse...this week we're to have exactly 100 words. Looking at the other end of my "Humanity abandoning Earth" theme that shows up occasionally on these:

Larry cracked a beer as the light from the thrusters of the last ship to leave Earth faded in the sky. The other light, the one of the comet that was going to destroy everything, was getting brighter, but there was no way he was leavin’. Nosiree. He was 92 and he wasn’t like to see that spiffy new Mars they’d been buildin’ anyway, so he just sat back in his rocker, sipped his beer, and figured to enjoy the next nineteen days until the comet hit.

“Yessir,” he said to no one in particular. “I’m livin’ the dream, man.”

I always find something a bit fascinating about people who make the rational choice to accept the death they know is coming rather than keep going.

7 comments:

Judie said...

A 92-year-old man went to the doctor. "Doc!" he said, "I can't pee!" "How old are you?" asked the doctor. "I'm 92!" was the reply. The doctor said, "Aw, you've peed enough!"

So, now you understand! Great post!!

MiracleMommy said...

Though, do you think that the acceptance of an inevitable death is easier done at age 92?

This snippet is so well done, it makes me want to read a whole story wherein this takes place, I hope there's more!

Susan Anderson said...

Goin' down with the ship, so to speak.

At his stage of the game, I could see it. Not that he doesn't want to live any more, but just that he wants to close things out the way he lived 'em.

=)

anitamombanita said...

Nicely done. It reminded me of some show my hubs was watching on people with their bunkers. I'm a little like the 92 year old...if it's going to wipe everyone/everything out, not sure I care much about the bunker. Have a great week!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Larry would be a beloved character in a SciFi movie of this nature. Your short story left me wanting more. Very nice. (My Centus will post Monday morning.)

Judee said...

I like this so much! The voice of the character is very fitting, and I can just see him sitting there with his beer, watching the comet grow in the sky. Really well done.

If you have the time:
http://writetuit.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/saturday-centus-living-the-dream/

Jenny said...

What a neat character study. I think at that age I'd just rock and wait, too.

I can see him as a little cameo in an 'end of the earth' movie.

Very cool writing.