Monday, November 17, 2008

Sentential Links #148

At last, the franchise returns! Hooray!! Or not. Anyway, some linkage to good stuff:

:: The more women I meet, the more I realize that most are not worthy of what I have to give.

:: Will I hide my head in the sand or try to bolt the door when hurting comes calling? Or will I open the door and let it in with equanimity?
And what will that mean for me?


:: I always wondered about extremely long wars. In year 37 of the 100 Years' War, do the leaders remember what the point was. By year 73, all the leaders are most certainly dead, and all there is to hold onto is an abstraction. "For England!" or whatnot. (This was addressed on an Original Series episode of Star Trek, called "A Taste of Armageddon". The Enterprise arrives at a planet that's been at war with its neighbor planet for 500 years, and they've refined war to the point where the computers decide where the bombs have gone off and who has been killed, and then the people who have "died" are required to report to disintegration booths to be really killed. Kirk, of course, tosses the Prime Directive aside and intercedes.)

:: I was thinking about David Crosby the other day. Is there, could there be a bigger horse's ass, out of all the notable musicians that came to prominence in the 60's?

:: Q. Why does a Yugo have rear a window defroster? (Wow, the Yugo is gone. Between that and the discontinuation of Zima, I feel like...well, that the world actually got a bit better!)

:: It suddenly hit me at a little after 8 o’clock last night that I have a slightly horrifying amount of food in the house.

:: Now, setting aside that it's always better to edit, we can still ask -- was the book better for losing those six pages of character and story? I don't know. But it seems damn silly to bend storytelling to a format sold almost exclusively in low-attendance, often creepy specialty shops scattered across the nation.

:: A good date movie shapes the subsequent emotional responses so it needs to be chosen with thought. With that in mind, allow me to guide you through the steps of a relationship, movie by movie.

:: Jesus Christ, when did I become older than James Bond? When exactly did that happen? (I'm not! I'm younger, by three years! Huzzah!!!)

And that's all for this week. We'll be back next week. I promise. Unless I'm lying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah!

I have to find out where I can meet the first blogger. He sounds like someone I can relate to...

Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Yay! It's back! And thanks for the link.

Older than James Bond? I'm not too worried about being older than James Bond. Starting January 20, 2009, for the first time in my life, I'll be older than the President! :-)

Roger Owen Green said...

Yikes, I'LL be older than the President too!