Thursday, February 15, 2007

Note to self

When Guy Gavriel Kay has a new novel coming out in the next week or two, don't start reading a doorstop like Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon.

My unopened copy of Ysabel, which came via Amazon three days ago, is giving me a big old guilt trip right now.

(And man, is Gardens a dense read. I'll say more about it when I finish it -- right now I'm about halfway done -- but so far, it seems to me that Erikson stands at the opposite pole from David Weber. With Weber, you get infodumps galore, whether you need them or not. With Erikson, you don't get infodumps at all. It's in medias res, all the time.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to read Erikson for years. I'm a huge Glen Cook/Black Company fan, and everyone I know insists these are in the same vein.

Some day. ;)

Tal said...

I just need to tell you that I just finished Ysabel for the second time - amazing!

I'm kind of excited to hear your take on it.