Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Song Memes

Here's another list-type thing, cribbed from BFLOBlog. It's just my favorite songs by certain artists (left blank for artists with whom I'm insufficiently familiar).

Favorite Beatles song: "In My Life" (but, as is my usual habit with Beatles tunes, I like it better performed by someone else. In this case, Judy Collins.)

Favorite solo song by a former Beatle: "Live and Let Die", which I think would be a much better song if not for that incredibly odd "funk" thing in the middle.

Favorite Rolling Stones song: Dunno.

Favorite Bob Dylan song: "Rainy Day Woman [number something]"

Favorite Pixies song: Dunno.

Favorite Prince song: Dunno. I'm not a Prince fan.

Favorite Michael Jackson song: "Man in the Mirror" is a pretty good ballad, I think.

Favorite Metallica song: Everybody else is naming "Sandman", so I'll follow suit.

Favorite Public Enemy song: Dunno.

Favorite Depeche Mode song: Dunno.

Favorite Cure song: Dunno.

Favorite song that most of your friends haven’t heard: "Caledonia" by Dougie MacLean.

Favorite Beastie Boys song: I'm sorry, but I cannot take the Beastie Boys seriously. I don't care how many people tell me that "Fight For Your Right To Party" isn't representative of their "body of work".

Favorite Police song: "Every Breath You Take" (I'm a sap, remember?)

Favorite Sex Pistols song: I don't know the first damn thing about the Sex Pistols.

Favorite song from a movie: I couldn't possibly name one, so I'll just randomly mention "Into the West" from The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. But I could randomly cite any number of songs here.

Favorite Blondie song: "Call Me".

Favorite Genesis song: "In Too Deep". (I don't think that the Invisible Touch album gets nearly enough love.)

Favorite Led Zeppelin song: Yes, I love "Stairway". But for this purposes of this post, I'll go with "Battle of Evermore".

Favorite INXS song: Dunno. (For about the first year that this band was on my radar screen, I thought that the name was pronounced "Inkses". Whoops.)

Favorite Weird Al song: That Star Wars parody he did, whatever it was called.

Favorite Pink Floyd song: "Is There Anybody Out There?"

Favorite cover song: Tangerine Dream doing "Purple Haze". Or David Bowie and Mick Jagger's cover (for LiveAid) of "Dancin' In the Street".

Favorite dance song: "Last Dance" by Donna Summer.

Favorite U2 song: "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

Favorite disco song: OK, I actually like "Stayin' Alive" by the BeeGees. You got me to say it. You happy now? Harumph!

Favorite The Who song: "Who Are You?"

Favorite Elton John song: "Tiny Dancer"

Favorite Clash song: Dunno.

Favorite David Bowie song: Dunno.

Favorite Nirvana song: Never liked Nirvana.

Favorite Snoop Dogg song: Not a rap fan.

Favorite Ice Cube song: Ditto.

Favorite Johnny Cash song: "Ring of Fire" (but really, picking one Johnny Cash tune is like looking at a bucket of chicken wings and picking the best one).

Favorite R.E.M. song: "Everybody Hurts".

Favorite Elvis song: "Love Me Tender".

Favorite cheesy-ass country song: "Seven Spanish Angels", Ray Charles and Willie Nelson.

Favorite Billy Joel song: "An Innocent Man".

Favorite Bruce Springsteen song: "Streets of Philadelphia".

Favorite Big Audio Dynamite song: Who?

Favorite New Order song: Who?

Favorite Neil Diamond song: "Song Sung Blue".

Favorite Squeeze song: Who?

Favorite Smiths song: Dunno.

Favorite Tragically Hip Song: Dunno.

No comments: