Friday, September 30, 2005

The Taming of the Screw

I'm sure Sean will kick himself for not thinking of this title for his post, but anyway, he links a fascinating article about a guy who's been on a kick re-engineering the lowly screw so it works better. This caught my eye because, while I'm unfamiliar (as of now) with the Sammy Super Screw, I do use the Tapcon masonry screw constantly at The Store. I recommend them highly. These are what I use to mount all manner of stuff to our brick and concrete walls: signage, shelving, and even the brackets for the US flags we have on the outside of our building. You just use the Tapcon drill bit (enclosed in the large pack of screws) to pre-drill your hole, and then the screw just goes right in and doesn't work its way back out again. (Just use a good drill, though. Nothing sucks more than trying to drill holes in masonry with a crappy drill.)

No comments: