Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Music, food...what's not to like?

Lynn Sislo appears to have food on the brain today. First, she seems surprised that someone suggests putting sauerkraut in chili, but that's nothing, really: when I went to college in Iowa, the local Pizza Hut offered kraut as a pizza topping. Ewwwww. (Strangely, while I don't like sauerkraut itself and won't eat it, I think that a nice piece of meat, like a beef roast or a nice thick section of Polish sausage, simmered until tender in a big pot of sauerkraut is just heavenly.)

More interestingly, Lynn solicits suggestions for musical food metaphors, taking this as a starting point:

If Johann Strauss II is the musical equivalent of whipped cream, Richard Strauss’s waltzes from the Rosenkavalier are whipped cream with a pound of sugar and half a dozen egg yolks.


Hmmmm...Strauss and whipped cream...never tried that before...hmmmmm....

OK, sorry about that. How about some other musical metaphors?

Mahler is a giant stack of buckwheat pancakes: wonderfully nourishing and filling, but he sits in your stomach forever.

Berlioz? He's Chicago-style deep dish pizza: beloved by some, not understood by many.

I'd better give this up right now. Not only am I making myself hungry, but the whipped cream thing is...um, excuse me....

No comments: