Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Cool, but does it make a nice cup of coffee?

I've obviously been noodling around a bit with the new Blogger features, mainly concentrating on titles. Now I can title my posts, just like all the Cool Kids with their Movable Type blogs. Of course, figuring out how to get them to show up was a bit of a pain, as the "New Features" page didn't exactly point the way to any directions, so I had to do some searching before I finally found the necessary Blogger tags to make the titles actually show on the blog itself. I also tried them with a number of different styles and font-sizes, and I've settled (for now) on the current appearance.

I'm also interested in the "Change Time and Date" feature, so if I have a post that I want to appear on a certain date I can do that, I think. But the explanation here is very spotty. If I do this -- say, if I write a post on November 6 but change its date to November 9, will it automatically appear on November 9 when someone loads the page, or will publishing be required on the 9th to make the thing appear? This is a feature I'd like to use, but there's no explanation anywhere that I can find as to just how it works. If anyone can answer this, let me know.

Once again, I see no compelling reason to make the switch over to Movable Type yet. Blogger has its hiccups of functionality, but as I see it, they really are working to make things better. I suspect I'll keep using Blogger until it significantly falls off in quality. I would, though, like to move eventually to a non-Blogspot server with my own registered domain name, but that's a way off.

Anyway, some of this new stuff looks pretty cool, and some of it I doubt I'll use. That's usually the way it goes, though.

No comments: