Tuesday, September 23, 2003

I do not think about things I do not think about.

From the Associated Press: "I appreciate people's opinions, but I'm more interested in news," the president said. "And the best way to get the news is from objective sources, and the most objective sources I have are people on my staff who tell me what's happening in the world."

Wow. We now have a "Navel-gazer-in-Chief".

Yeah, that's probably a cheap shot, but are we really to believe that Bush's own advisers are "objective", and that their decisions and recommendations are not driven by ideology at all? And is the President really admitting that he makes no effort to educate himself and to learn for himself the vagaries of the issues facing him on any particular day? At least with Presidents Clinton and Bush the Elder, I got the feeling that even if I thought they were full of crap, which was quite often, the President had at least made some kind of thought process on his own.

(No, I didn't get that feeling with Reagan either, which is one of many reasons I tremble for my country when I head GWB referred to as Reagan's true political heir. As for the earlier Presidents of my lifetime, I wasn't really aware enough of Carter to know one way or the other. But I suspect that it was that way with him, and with Ford and most definitely Nixon, from what I've read of their Administrations.)

No comments: