Sunday, September 21, 2003

Writing Update

The novel-in-progress, The Finest Deed, stands at just under 43,000 words. (In a mass-market paperback, that's somewhere around 100 pages, give-or-take ten or fifteen pages.) I encountered a few difficult spots a while back, which resulted from this book's nature (being the second part of a two-part story, with a world-situation already in place), but I think I've got those problems ironed out now. I don't work with outlines, so my approach is basically "Toss it against the wall and whatever's still sticking when I'm done is the book."

For some reason, I've slacked off on the short fiction lately, but I'm hoping to return to the story I've allowed to sit fallow for a month while I kicked around plot problems with the novel. The story is about a homeless card player who goes on a very improbably lucky streak, or at least that's what I think it's about. The problem with stories is that they tend to end up being about things you didn't think they were about when you started.

No comments: