Friday, September 26, 2003

So how can we sell democracy THIS year???

Well, this was just sad.

On some weekends I like to watch old episodes of That 70s Show, which are aired on a Canadian station (from Hamilton, Ontario, I believe). This station just had an ad for tonight's "Ultimate Survivor Night", which first consists of the new episode of Survivor, and then followed by…

(My God, I can't believe it)

…their coverage of tonight's elections in Ontario!

That's right, they tied election coverage in with Survivor, complete with that mindnumbing Survivor theme song as they showed clips of their news reporters and people voting and the candidates and whatnot. Yeah, I guess that's one way to look at elections; if you don't do well by your constituents, you get voted off the island (or off the Parliament, in this case). But marketing election coverage to take advantage of some TV show? Oy....


No comments: