Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Random Wednesday Conversation Starter

Country-western music really isn't my usual cup of tea, but even so, there are a number of country songs that I do like a lot. These usually tend to be older songs, from when I would go with my parents on various car trips and my father would listen to country stations. A lot of it I never liked, but some of it, I really truly did.

So: what's your favorite country-western song?

(Warning: as of this writing, I am not sure whether or not I will simply mock, or summarily ban from commenting forever, anyone who can honestly claim that their favorite country song is "Red Solo Cup"!)

6 comments:

Kaye Waller said...

The Country songs I like are each linked to a memory of a person or a relationship. "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma" by Shelly West & David Frizzell, "You're Still the One" by Shania Twain, and some that I used to sing, "Green, Green Grass of Home", "Long Black Veil", and "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight".

I never say I dislike any music genre because each and every one has its cream and its bilge. I just happen to prefer the cream of every genre.

Call me Paul said...

I have never heard of the song "Red Solo Cup." My only real attention to Country music was attracted by artists like Shania Twain, Chely Wright, Martina McBride, and Faith Hill... hmm, is that a trend? Also, when I worked in the Audio business, I used to use a song called "This Ain't My first Rodeo," by Vern Gosdin, as demo material.

Roger Owen Green said...

When I was growing up in Binghamton, I used to listen to some clear channel radio at night from NYC, Cleveland, and WWVA in Wheeling, WV. Can't remember who did it, but the song was Satisfied Mind.

Ben Varkentine said...

"Don't Come the Cowboy with Me, Sunny Jim," by Kirsty MacColl.

Jason said...

I enjoy 70s- and early 80s-vintage country quite a bit... Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbit, Alabama, things of that ilk. The pop-country crossover stuff, I guess you could call it. "The Gambler," "Daytime Friends," "I Love a Rainy Night," "Mountain Music"... I could come up with quite a list, actually.

Michael May said...

I'm late to this one, but mine is "Ruby (Don't Take Your Love to Town)" by Kenny Rogers, closely beating out "Good Hearted Woman" by Waylon and Willie.

Of course, I have to exclude most of Johnny Cash's catalog to get to those. I can't even pick a favorite between most Johnny Cash songs.