Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Burst of Weird and AWESOME!

Oddities and Awesome abound!

:: Via SamuraiFrog: Deaths in old-school arcade games.



I miss arcades, although I spent a lot less time in them as a kid than others my age, owing to my parents' odd notion that there were better things for me to be doing with my saved-up money than changing it all to quarters and playing video games. (But hey, I thwarted them by saving up my money and then blowing it all on comic books! HA!!!)

Kidding aside -- they were right, of course; as much as I loved the old-school video games of that era, I had zero concept of time management, money management, or "Hey, I should probably crack open that book that Teacher X assigned me to read/study/do homework out of." I was unfocused enough; adding regular arcade time to the mix would have been, shall we say, unwise. But I did manage to squeeze in arcade visits now and again. Loved 'em, even if my favorite games tended to be monopolized for hours at a time. Nothing frustrated more than rushing into the arcade, knowing I only had twenty or thirty minutes, tops, before I needed to be someplace else, running to my favorite game, and seeing a crowd of people standing around with their quarters lined up on the console. Ugh!

(And now I find that I can't even remember the name of my favorite late-80s/early-90s era video game, which I owned in college. I made that game my bitch...and I can't remember for the life of me what it was called, so I can't find out if a version exists for any other gaming system.)

:: I want this.

epic win photos - Classic: Overstuffed WIN
see more Hacked IRL - Truth in Sarcasm

The glass of milk would have to be pretty epic, though. I'm thinking you'd need a glass flower vase filled nearly to the top with milk.

:: I'm not a big fan of commercials, especially this one, which is pretty poorly filmed. The picture gets really blurry at the end. Or maybe it's something with my eyes.



More next week!

2 comments:

Kerry said...

That cat food commercial made my kid cry. He said, "I just love that fluffy little kitten that asked that girl to marry him."

fillyjonk said...

I guess I'm in bitter spinster mode right now; that cat food commercial only makes me go, "Yeah, right. And a year from then he'll be on her case to 'can't we get rid of that damn cat? It scratched my speaker covers again.'"

OTOH, I think the Geico "do dogs chase cats" 70s-fabulous car-chase commercial is filled with win.