Saturday, October 06, 2012

Saturday Centus

On the hayride

With my somewhat relentless focus the last bunch of months on other writing matters, I've lost track of this delightful weekly bit of writing ephemera. I'm glad to see that Jenny Matlock is still keeping the fires burning, with an autumnal prompt for this week. Here is my entry:

Two trees stood together, watching the world. They'd sprouted together, grown from sapling to full maple together. When they were big enough, their leaves would brush against one another in the breeze. How they thrilled to each other's touch! And how they envied those humans who could touch each other at will.

Each year one tree said to the other, "How beautifully leaves grow old". They said a goodbye of red and orange and gold, and then they would lose each other's touch until spring.

One day their leaves won't grow at all...but not this year.

9 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

And hello to any returning Centusians who read this! I've missed this weekly meeting-of-the-minds and I've kept telling myself, 'Wow, gotta get back into the Saturday Centus'. Finally I got the lead out!

(And since some of you have enjoyed it in the past, here's my latest pie in the face. Enjoy a laugh at my expense!)

Judie said...

I find this post very "touching," Kelly!

Bookie said...

Super...very Aesop like!

myletterstoemily said...

i love your creative touch with this prompt.

anitamombanita said...

very sweet sentiment!

lissa said...

wonderful! I didn't think of that about trees but you reminded me how we take things for granted.

have a great day.

Susan Anderson said...

Quite lovely.

=)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Jenny said...

Ah! Sweet, sweet!

HI!

I was soooo excited when the link brought me to your blog!

It sounds like you've been having a wonderful time writing!

You're awfully talented at it!