I knicked this from Still Life with Soup Can. I don't remember doing this one before, so here it is. It's about...food!
1. How do you like your eggs? Scrambled, with cheese or without, with a liberal sprinkling of black pepper and hot sauce. Or as an omelet with many, many kinds of fillings.
2. How do you take your coffee/tea? Black with quite a bit of sugar. I'll use a creamer now and again as a change of pace, but mostly, I subscribe to the wonderful Turkish proverb: Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and sweet as Love. (I've never tried real Turkish coffee, though.)
3. Favorite breakfast food? My love of pancakes and waffles knows no bounds, but at a restaurant I'm likely to order some kind of combo plate with eggs, meat, and toast. These days, though, my main breakfast meal tends to be a bowl of frosted shredded wheat, topped with blueberries (fresh if possible and not expensive, frozen otherwise), with a glass of orange juice.
4. Peanut butter - smooth or crunchy? Smooth, because that's the preference of the WomenFolk of Casa Jaquandor. I personally have no great preference either way.
5. What kind of dressing on your salad? My favorite is poppyseed dressing. For some reason, in restaurants I reflexively order ranch, even though it's boring. At home, I'm switching to extra virgin olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar. Eventually I'll start doing things like making my own vinaigrettes.
6. Coke or Pepsi? Usually Pepsi, but I like Coke too. I wish I could get Passover Coke in these parts (although in truth I haven't tried any of the stores in the Jewish neighborhoods of Buffalo). I've pretty much stopped drinking diet pop, because I'm told the chemicals in them are all kinds of bad. Have I researched this matter myself? Of course not. Because I just do what I'm told, that's why.
7. You’re feeling lazy, what do you make? A couple hot dogs, or maybe a bowl of Ramen.
8. You’re feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? Italian sausage and onions. Or pepperoni and banana peppers. Or ham and mushrooms on a white crust. (By the way: Chicago pizza is pizza. Deal with it, you NYC-style pizza crybabies!)
9. You feel like cooking. What do you make? Depends on my mood, really. If I'm feeling ambitious, I make a mean Pastitsio (just made one last week, as a matter of fact). I do good fried chicken, although I do that maybe once a year. My mac-and-cheese is good.
10. Do any foods bring back good memories? Ramen noodles, which I ate from a very early age -- especially if I have any rye crisp bread to butter and then dip in the Ramen broth. Spanish rice and corn bread is a stand-by dish from when The Wife and I were first dating. And, of course, a roasted turkey.
11. Do any foods bring back bad memories? Hmmmm...can't think of any off the top of my head.
12. Do any foods remind you of someone? Spanish rice. See above. And ditto the also afore-mentioned Ramen with rye crisp; that reminds me of my father.
13. Is there a food you refuse to eat? Broccoli. I consider anyone who claims to genuinely like the flavor of broccoli to be delusional.
14. What was your favorite food as a child? Totino's frozen pizza.
15. Is there a food that you hated as a child but now like? I'm coming to enjoy mushrooms, although not to the point of eating them by themselves, or having stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. But I do like them in stuff, like on a pizza. That used to be a dealbreaker for me, but now, I'll cheerfully eat a pizza with shrooms on it. Oh, and squash.
16. Is there a food that you liked as a child but now hate? Not hate, per se, but there's stuff that while I don't dislike it I genuinely wonder what I thought the fuss was -- like those dirt-cheap frozen pot pies, for instance. For a frozen pot pie, Pepperidge Farm or Marie Callender's make much better ones; and really, if I'm really hungry for pot pie, I'll make one myself.
From my college years, though? I can't fathom how I went for a year consuming Easy Cheese on a regular basis. Ewwwwwww.
17. Favorite fruit and vegetable: Blueberries; Green peppers.
18. Favorite junk food: Chips of just about any kind (except that horrible "Dill Pickle" flavor), chocolate chip cookies, ice cream.
19. Favorite between meal snack: These days? A couple ounces of mixed nuts, or a cup of yogurt, or a granola bar.
20. Do you have any weird food habits? With chicken wings, I tend to eat the "drummies" before I eat the "wing" section. When we make any kind of baked pasta dish, I have to get a serving from the edge of the pan, where that crusty goo forms. And whenever we get pizza, I start eating it with a knife and fork, until I eventually decide to just pick it up like you're supposed to do.
21. You’re on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on? I don't do diets; rather, I try to build new eating habits. I love peanut butter spread on celery, though.
22. You’re off your diet. Now what would you like? Everything!
23. How spicy do you order Indian/Thai? I don't order Indian or Thai. Why? Because I never make it a priority to get off my arse and go sample Indian and Thai. I admit that this is a serious flaw in my food education.
24. Can I get you a drink? Yeungling lager; or Blue Moon pumpkin ale; or Sam Adams Cherry Wheat; or a rum-and-coke but only if it's Captain Morgan; vanilla rum and root beer.
25. Red wine or white? Red. Especially if it's Port -- I love Port.
26. Favorite dessert? Ice cream. Or cake. Or both.
27. The perfect nightcap? A cup of herbal tea with honey.
Hmmm...for some reason I'm hungry now.