Thursday, May 29, 2003

Some statistical nonsense on my Short Fiction Reading Month: I started the actual reading a couple of days before May 13, but my first update post on the subject appeared on the 15th, so I'm calling that as my starting point. Thus, I will return to reading novels on June 15. And there was much rejoicing...or thudding of heads hitting their desks as their masters fall into deep slumber.

Anyway, as of today I have read 33 stories, by 20 different authors. Of those 33 stories, 9 are science fiction, 5 are "humor" (at least that's what I'd call them), and the remainder are a mix of fantasy, dark fantasy, suspense, and outright horror.

This little project is turning out to be a blast. Everybody should read more short stories. As Stephen King says in the foreword to his latest collection, Everything's Eventual: "For me, there are few pleasures so excellent as sitting in my favorite chair on a cold night with a hot cup of tea, listening to the wind outside and reading a good story which I can complete in a single sitting." I absolutely plan to work more short-fiction reading into my regular reading regimen once the intensive-month is done.

No comments: